Great place for OEM parts. Had stuff the dealer didn't. Get schematics for any part your working on.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

First 3 miles

So I took the clutch cover off and hit the clutch with a rubber mallet a few times and pried the clutch plates apart a little bit. That freed up the clutch.

I rode it around the block and it shifted just fine. The carburetor need to be adjusted and I'm still with out a front brake lever (that's why I only went 3 miles). I'm watching a few levers on Ebay I should get one here in the next week or so.

Monday, May 21, 2007

On Hold

I thought I was going to finish (except paint) this weekend but as it turns out the cluch is siezed and there's something wrong with my front brake master cylinder. Unfortunately, I'm out of cash.

I'm a little frustrated with both the Harley and the Vulcan. There's some kind of intermittent electrical problem that stosp the Vulcan from running. So here I am, I've got 2 pretty nice bikes and I can't ride ( or fix) either one. I think I'm gonna step back for a while.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Oh So Close

I've probably put in 9 hours on Betty in the last 24. Who needs sleep anyway?

All the electrical is ran except for the tail light and I'm still waiting for a headlight glass.

The brake line I bought is too small, I'll try to get out to Butterfields this weekend and get the right size.

I'm also waiting on a chrome chain guard.

I still need to add fluids to the break lines and the clutch needs adjustment.
Turns out the chrome pipes don't fit on the stock bracket.

I'll either fabricate a bracket or more likely, get a different set of pipes

Oh yeah and the tank and rear fend still need paint.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Cheating: Sneak Peak

After I mounted the rear brake and foot pedal, I wanted to check to see if the pedal would hit the exhaust pipe.
A note about these drag pipes: I bought them from an eBay seller in Chicopee Mass, and they were actually manufactured in Palmer Mass, the town I went to High School.

Anyway, I get the pipes on and I say, humm... lets throw the tank and air cleaner on and how about the fender and struts too.
Then I took a picture, looking good.
I've been calling her Betty for a while, perhaps I should drop the Ugly part entirely.
Sorry the garage is a mess. I'm too excited about finishing to bother to clean up.

Rear Brake Caliper

Got this on ebay. I paid too much. ($70) but it was the only one I could find that wasn't $150 or more. I painted the bracket but instead of painting the caliper I polished it. I thin it came out pretty go. Certainly as good as any paint job I can do.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin...

I finally got the brake caliper bracket which completes the required parts to install the rear wheel. I then put on the kick stand and dropped the lift. Smooth rolling chassis.

(Like that chrome speedo?)

At this rate, all I'll have left will be paint by the end of the week. I'm gonna try to have her ready to drive to work on Friday the 25th. That gives me 10 days to finish up.

In reality I still have to:

Install the front and rear brake calipers.
Prep and paint the rear fender and tank.
Install the headlight, taillight and wiring harness.
Connect throttle, choke and air cleaner.
Repair seat stitching.
Chain guard
Battery tray and cover.

Most of that is pretty easy. The painting will be the only real time consuming part.

Here's a shot of my boy in his first Harley shirt

Monday, May 14, 2007

I'd say I'm over half way there

I'm still waiting for a rear brake caliper so I can mount the rear wheel. Although, I also need to mount the rear fender too. I have been procrasinating the fender, I don't like to paint.

Whats left?

-Paint: Fender, tank and, headlight bucket

-Install front and rear brake. ( need to buy an after market brake line for the front to make up for the ape hangers.


A few parts I still need: Transmission (drive gear) cover, head light visor, exhaust pipe clamps and battery strap.

Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Work Continues

That front end looks pretty sharp.

I decided to flat black the engine covers rather then springing for the chrome. I'm looking at over $200 if I got new covers. Maybe later.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Progress is Made

I've stripped and painted the frame. (black) No pics sorry. I've go the rear shocks cleaned and mounted.

The tree has been polished and mounted and I'm now working on the forks. It's been a couple days since I lasted worked on it.